Are you a language enthusiast who wishes to experience a unique culture? Then Guatemala is the destination for you! With its rich biodiversity, stunning Mayan ruins, and a diverse populace, Guatemala is fast emerging as a popular TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) hub. In this blog post, we will take you through everything you need to know about Teach English in Guatemala.
1. The TEFL market in Guatemala – Guatemala boasts a thriving TEFL industry – not surprising given that both tourists and locals alike take a keen interest in learning English. From kindergartens to universities, teaching English is a high-demand profession. As a TEFL instructor, you can choose to work with international schools, private academies, or NGOs, which are doing commendable work in promoting English language proficiency.
2. Experiencing Guatemalan culture – Guatemala is a vibrant and diverse country with a unique culture that varies from region to region. As a TEFL instructor, you will have plenty of free time to explore the country and soak in its beauty. Visit the colonial city of Antigua, which is a UNESCO world heritage site, marvel at the active Volcan Pacaya, or explore Tikal, one of the largest Maya sites in the world. You could also participate in cultural events such as Dia de los Muertos, Carnaval, or Semana Santa, which are celebrated with much zeal and enthusiasm.
3. Training programs – To teach English in Guatemala, you’ll need to have a TEFL certification. Look for accredited programs that have a duration of 120-150 hours and prepare you thoroughly for the responsibilities of the job. International TEFL Academy is a reputable institution that offers both online and in-person courses that are recognized worldwide.
4. Living conditions – Guatemala offers affordable living costs, so you can make the most of your salary and travel around the country. Most TEFL contracts offer accommodation, which is a fantastic way to experience the local culture. However, be prepared to adjust to different living conditions as the country is still developing.
5. Job prospects – A TEFL certificate is a valuable addition to your resume and can help you land teaching jobs globally. TEFL in Guatemala can also open doors to teaching opportunities in other Central and South American countries. Moreover, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re making a difference by promoting English proficiency in underprivileged communities.
In conclusion, TEFL in Guatemala is an excellent opportunity for those looking to explore a different culture, give back to society, and gain valuable teaching experience. With a passion for language and a TEFL certification, you can embark on a grand adventure that will be both enriching and exciting. So why wait? Start your TEFL journey in Guatemala today and experience the magic of this beautiful country.
The world is filled with amazing opportunities that can bring new perspectives into our lives. Teaching English in Guatemala is one such opportunity that allows us to do something worthwhile while learning about a new culture. With the help of a TEFL certification, we can experience the unique charm and beauty of Guatemala while teaching English to students who are eager and willing to learn. Whether you decide to do volunteer work or look for paid opportunities, TEFL in Guatemala is sure to be an enriching and rewarding experience. So take the plunge, get your TEFL certification, and start exploring all that Guatemala has to offer!